Thursday, February 4, 2010

A Day in the Life of Me

Things have changed quite a bit around the King house since our little bundle of joy joined us last summer. For one thing, we used to do whatever we wanted, whenever we wanted. Obviously that's a problem because we are no longer the bosses around here. Miss Holly's the boss and she lets us know it.

Andrew gets up and leaves for work at the awful hour of 6:30 a.m. If I am extremely lucky, Holly wakes up around 6:00 to nurse and then goes straight back to sleep. Most of the time, I'm not extremely lucky and she is ready to start the day. If this is the case, I bring her out into the living room and we play for awhile (or rather, she plays while I eat breakfast and get my GMA fix).

Then, if I am lucky, she goes down for a nap within a couple of hours. I use this time to clean the house if I'm feeling ambitious, shower and make myself look like a human if I'm feeling desperate, or blog/read/surf the Internet if I'm feeling lazy. Then when Holly wakes up, she eats breakfast.

This kid likes to eat. The other day I gave her quite a bit of baby cereal and then cut up some banana for her to eat with her fingers. She ate half of a banana! It amazes me how much she can pack down sometimes. Other times, she spits her food out and gags and won't eat anything.

After breakfast, I set Holly loose to play while I clean or...something. Can I be honest? I'm really not sure what I do during the day sometimes. Often a whole day passes and I think, What on earth did I do today? That happens less and less, though.

Holly's new trick is to pull up on everything and try to cruise to get to naughty things she shouldn't have. Her slacker parents are too lazy to baby-proof entirely, so they put up some gates and called it good.

Holly plays and checks in with me once in awhile, just to make sure I'm paying adequate attention to her. She takes an afternoon nap whenever she gets around to it, usually between 12:00 and 2:00 p.m. Then Daddy comes home around 3:00 p.m. (give or take two hours--literally) and they play for awhile.

When I get dinner ready, things usually look a lot like this in our house:

My two babies, conked out wherever they are. Couch, floor--it doesn't matter. But I get some nice quiet time and that's all that matters.

When we eat dinner, I have Andrew feed Holly because in the time it takes me to eat dinner, he feeds the both of them. Holly is not a fan of Daddy feeding her because he thinks it's funny when she makes faces about food, so he gives her more to see what she'll do.

This is the form it usually takes. (She looks rough in this picture because she's sick...again. Poor kid.)

Then after dinner, bath and bedtime! Luckily, this little girl usually goes to bed between 7:00 and 8:00 p.m., so her parents have time to breathe and have some baby-free time before they go to bed. Whew! Just thinking about this tires me out. I think it's time for a nap.


Juliekins said...

Katie! Your blog is so cute. I don't know where I have been, but I guess I haven't seen your blog since we moved to Texas. Holly is so cute and doing so much. Eli is just taking his sweet time. Anyway, I hope to see you guys sometime soon!

Rob and Jennifer said...

I understand more than ever! Are you still doing cloth diapers?

Post a Comment